STRINGENT KENYAN TRAFFIC LAWS YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF
By Rahab Kinyanjui
Earlier this year, there were new amendments to the traffic laws. Just in case you do get busted by Traffic police, at least you can’t say you didn’t know.
1. OVERSPEEDING- This will run you the risk of paying a fine of Kshs. 10,000 or 3 months imprisonment or both. The busted speed addict’s driving license will also be suspended for not less than 3 years.
2. MOTORCYCLE OPERATORS are required to carry ONLY one passenger. Both the passenger and driver must wear reflective cloths and helmets. Otherwise you face a fine of 10,000 and default of that, will result in 12 months imprisonment.
3. DANGEROUS DRIVING Persons convicted of causing death by dangerous driving-life imprisonment.
4. MANDATORY EYE TEST is required every 3 years for licensed drivers. If you fail the test then licence is required to be withdrawn.
5. OVERLAPPING-This is probably the most annoying acts carried out by impatient motorists during traffic jams. It involves driving on pavement, through a petrol station, footpaths… etc, in order to avoid traffic. It results in more traffic jam. Well now, getting caught could get you coughing up Kshs. 30,000/3 months or both.
6. SURRENDER YOUR IDENTIFICATION PLATES…after selling your car otherwise, you are at risk of facing a fine of Kshs. 30,000. It gets worse, an additional fine of Kshs. 10,000 will need to be paid for every month you don’t surrender your plates.
7. DRUNKEN DRIVING, upon conviction it can lead to imprisonment of not less than 10 years and a fine of not less than 500,000Kshs.
8. UNAUTHORISED PSV DRIVER-This means, he or she is out of uniform or without a special badge. It can result in a fine of not less than Kshs. 500,000 or possible imprisonment of ten years.
These traffic rules seem harsh. Cheer Up! Here are some the weird traffic rules that are around the world
1. Denmark-You must do a routine check under your car to look for sleeping children every time you want to drive anywhere!
2. Philippines-If your number plate ends in 1 or 2 you can’t drive on Monday
3. Russia/Romania-It is illegal to drive a dirty car
4. Mecca, Saudia Arabia-There are two highways, one Muslim (non-Muslims are not allowed to enter the Holy City) and the other non-Muslim. Being a non-Muslim on the Muslim Highway can land you in serious trouble
5. California, USA-It is illegal for a woman to wear a dressing gown while driving
COURTESY OF YUSTO MALIK’S facebook page